MPR07-19

Wednesday, 5 October 2016

State and Dynamic Verbs


Hi everyone!

Today in class we've studied a few verbs that have different meanings depending on whether they are used as stative or as dynamic verbs.

 I know it can be a bit confusing but the most important aspect that you should remember is the fact that STATE VERBS can only be used in SIMPLE TENSES. For example, I can't say: "*This pizza is tasting lovely!" or "*I'm having three brothers and sisters" (these sentences sound too weird, don't they?). We should say: "This pizza tastes lovely" or "I have three brothers and sisters".



Besides, I think it's interesting for you to know that we can use "I'm seeing someone" to say that we're meeting someone and we can see "I see what you mean" when we're talking to a friend and we want to tell her or him that we understand what they are saying.

Click HERE to download the PowerPoint that I used in class. I hope you found it useful.

In our 7th Hour we've been discussing the pros and cons of mobiles phones and we've watched a video of a couple of friends who decide to switch off their phones. I encourage you to watch the video again and do the activities at home. Here's the link:
http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/skills/speaking-skills-practice/pros-and-cons-mobile-phones

Hope you have a  lovely evening! See you tomorrow!

Gloria